When we get saved, we need to know how Satan comes in and tries to steal our salvation and we need to learn how to recognize the ways that Satan uses to try to win us back from God.
This week, we will try to examine the ways that Satan attacks us, and the things he uses, and the tactics thathe uses to try to win our souls back from God. Then, hopefully, next week, we can examine the ways in which we are to combat him, and how to be victorious in our efforts.
Sometimes, we fail to recognize that some of the things we experience on a daily basis are sent to us by the enemy. . We are so used to fighting things in the natural, in the flesh, that sometimes, we don't realize that it is a spiritual battle and the battle belongs to the Lord. We just need to be able to recognize it for what it is, and then, we will learn how to deal with it.
Now, real Christians are involved in a real spiritual conflict. This is a fight where tanks and guns are of no use. Paul said in Ep. 6:12, "we wrestle not against flesh and blood." The battle or conflict is not with people, or nations, but with Satan and his demons.
We need to know and remember and recognize that many times when people oppose us, the reason behind it is spiritual.
This a real a battle, people--In John 10:10, Scripture tells us that the thief (Satan) cometh only to steal, kill, and desttroy." And make no mistake about it--that is exactly what he is doing today--the same as yesterday--and he is good at it--he is experienced--and he has every kind of evil thing at his disposal--he has every evil force and being in the spiritual realm to use at will against every child of God.
Unlike God, he has no mercy--he has no allegiance to anyone--his main objective is to tear up, destruct, kill, destroy, by any means possible. If one way doesn't get the job done, he'll try another and another and another.
In Eph. 2:2 the Bible says, "wherein times past ye walked according to the course of this world, according to the prince of the power of the air, the spirit now worketh in the children of disobedience."
Now, we don't want to give credit to Satan, or get off focus of the things of God, but in order to realize what is going on in our lives we each have to know where the battle is and know how to fight it.
The Scripture tells us in Phil. 4:13, I can do all things through Chirst which strengtheneth me. And, in Luke 10:19, "Jesus said I give you power over all power." It goes further in vs. 20, and says for us not to rejoice that the spirits submit to you, but rejoice that your name is written in heaven."
Now, that brings me to this--it is evident that Satan is fighting for our very souls, and he'll keep us from our rightful place in heaven by whatever means he can. It is not only important, but imperative we realize where our spiritual battle is and to know how to recognize the enemy and to defeat him. Our very souls and eternal life are at stake.
I'd like to read a verse of Scripture to you from the Living Bible--Of course, it's in all the translations, but is more easily understood in the Living Translation. It is Eze. 33:13--"I have said the good man will live. But if he sins, expecting his past goodness to save him then none of his good deeds will be remembered. I will destroy him for his sins." Let's turn there--(read through vs. 20)
Now, some people will say, I've been saved and I'm going to heaven--There's no question in their minds because someone, somewhere, at sometime, told them once saved always saved--Now what we just read tells me that even if I'm saved and I go back out into sin, I'm not going to have eternal life unless I repent for those sins. Then, I have to rededicate my life to God. Forgiveness is just a prayer away!!
Now, this is where I'm going with all this---There are lots of ways that the enemy (or Satan) tries to snare us and trip us up.
I've sort of categorized these in about 8 groups--Each time, Satan will use a little different tactic, but it will usually fall under one of these categories. And, if we are not on our toes, and do not fight back, they will all bring about the same result----Falling back into his kingdom, and slipping away from the Kingdom of God, even if just for a little while--sometimes, we slip, and we stay out there. This is very important for all of us!!!
I want to give you the list and some Scriptures for each and then, you study it out. I'm only trying to make all of you aware that even though circumstances appear to be one way in our every day life, they've come directly from the spiritual realm.
We have to remember that we, each of us, are spirits living in fleshly bodies. Our spirits came from God--He is spirit, and heaven, which we all hope to see is in the spiritual realm. And I want to tell you once again that anything happens in the natural, happens in the spiritual realm first.
There is a way, a real way being fought out in the heavenlies for our very souls, and the enemy will send any of his evil spirits to attack us that is necessary to get us to "mess up", and get back into sin.
Here are the ways he usually attacks:
(1) Temptation - He tempts people (using his demons) by putting various kinds of imaginations in our minds and speaking words of deceit (See Gen. 3:1-6). He even tempted Jesus--Read Matt. 4:1-10--We'll not go there--most of us know how he tried , but write it down-- study out all these Scriptures.
(2) He Deceives - In 2 Corinth. 11:14 - the Scripture tells us "and no marvel; for Satan himself is transformed into an angel of light. Sometimes, even religious leaders are deceived on some important point--It doesn't matter exactly what area they are deceived--it has given Satan something to work with and believe me, he takes every opportunity and chance he can and works with it and he keeps coming back to it like rats to a heap of garbage. Some people might ask "why"? Well, he's trying to take as many with him to hell that he can and he'll use whatever means he can. Each and every Christian poses a real threat to satan---you see, we're all called, but few are chosen--he attacks those with the most potential of tearing up his kingdom. What each of us do with our "calling" determines whether we're chosen. It is not an easy walk--satan will put obstacles in your way--it is how you learn to deal with them and how you handle them that sets you apart!!! God will always go with you through all storms, if you allow Him to. He will never leave you drown, so long as you hold onto Him.
(3) He Hurts & Torments - In Acts 10:38 -- it says "How God anointed Jesus of Nazareth with the Holy Spirit and with power: who went about doing good, and healing all that were oppressed of the devil; for God was with him." Satan causes sickness, and death, and he causes breakdowns and divisions in human relationships leading to strife, war and violence.
(4) He Threatens us - (it produces fear)-- See 2 Tim. 1:7 - It says, "For God hath not given us a spirit of fear; but of power, and of love, and of a sound mind.
See the word POWER again? See the words SOUND MIND? We've already read where we have power over all power of how Satan builds up strongholds in our minds through thoughts that are sent to us. Many fears are totally unreasonable and they've been sent by pure demonic suggestion.
(5) He Enslaves people - See 2 Tim. 2:26 - In the NIV- it says: "and that they will come to their senses and escape the trap of the devil, who has taken them captive to do his will." He seeks to recruit slaves through witchcraft and other forms of false religions. He'll give you power and money or sexual pleasure, whatever it takes to get you, but he always double-crosses those who serve him and they become victims of hate. In Mark 8:36 - the Bible says "What will it profit a man if he gains the whole world, and loses his soul?"
(6) He Accuses God's people--This way he pulls you down and puts guilt trips on you, and uses the very thing he caused you to do in the first place, against you. In Rev. 12:10, the Bible refers to Satan as the "Accuser of the brethren." It goes further and says he accuses us day and night before God.
(7) He Harasses--through repeated attacks on our minds, our emotions, our bodies, our finances, our marriages--he inspires those who will to persecute and make life hard for Christians. All the Acrimony we speak about and pray against, is one of the ways that he harasses us.
(8) He Glorifies himself - Through witchcraft and false religions and other tools like the occult, he lifts himself up--a lot of music, especially rock and roll, rap and metal music glorifies Satan and his evil doings--some TV shows, movies, through things on the computers, and the games that are out now that kids play, and the parents and grandparents not only let them play--they actually buy them for the kids, and encourage them to play them--these are other ways that he uses.
We need to understand and remember that fear, hate and pride are major motivations in Satan's kingdom. If you see these operating in a person, you know that Satan has been successful in causing that person to yield himself or herself in that area of their life.
If we allow these things to operate and influence our lives, we are opening ourselves up for Satan to steal our salvation and our souls from eternal life.
In Eph. 6:12 - Scripture says we wrestle not against flesh and blood--We have to remember that only in Christ's power and authority can we drive them out of their positions of influence. If we are in a right relationship with God, we have nothing to fear--If we are not, then we need to cry out to God to save us and deliver us.
Praise be to God -- we can overcome it all through faith in Jesus, the power of the Holy Spirit, and the Word of God. In John 10:10 -Jesuis said He "came to give us life and that more abundantly"